For Those Who Dream Bigger
At The Hermitage Hotel, our guests choose to stay with us because of the unique location, amazing views, and the excellent service throughout their stay. Out team chooses to work with us because of the unique lifestyle in a remote location, amazing views on your doorstep, and being part of an excellent team, a community, and a family.
At Aoraki / Mount Cook Alpine Village Ltd, we offer more than just a place to stay – we offer a lifestyle and an experience. We welcome both local and international guests and applicants to experience the adventure and enjoyment of this unique environment in an iconic New Zealand location.
We are looking for enthusiastic Commis Chefs
At The Hermitage Hotel we offer our guests a variety of dining options including the premier Alpine Restaurant, Sir Edmund Hillary Café and Bar, and the Chamois Bar and Grill. You may work in any or all our outlets, which makes this an exciting opportunity to work in a diverse and evolving environment.
We are committed to providing opportunities for training and upskilling with support from our highly experienced senior chef team to team members who prove themselves passionate and committed to their personal development and growth.
What will my day look like?
• Preparing and cooking food, and development of recipes and dishes
• Ordering food supplies for your area of designated responsibility, and maintaining adequate stock levels
• Working with junior and senior team members to monitor the quality of dishes at all stages of preparation, presentation, and service
• Demonstrating techniques, advising on cooking procedures to junior staff, and supporting the development and training of team members
• Work as a member of the kitchen to maintain a pleasant and safe working environment and ensure efficiency in preparation of food to exceed customers’ expectations
• Follow and use a Food Control Plan and company procedures to ensure food safety requirements and our A-grading are maintained
What do we need from you?
We are All in this Together, so we need you to Bring your Best every day and Own it! If you want to be Part of the Solution you will need to Roll with the Punches and Keep it Real to be happy in this role
• Possess the Four C’s – committed, courageous, capable, and confident
• In love with the outdoors and adaptable to remote living
• A can-do attitude and a willingness to learn
• Friendly, outgoing, and professional, with excellent communication skills
• Flexible and adaptable, and able to change with the ever-evolving market
• A strong desire to strive for excellence
Some of the perks of joining our team at a historic hotel in an incredible part of New Zealand:
• Stunning surroundings and unparalleled views – a short and remarkable commute to work
• Unique opportunity to live and work in a UNESCO World Heritage Site
• Affordable staff accommodation, fully set up and nestled in the local community
• Great opportunity to save money supported by staff and local discounts
• Free access to all activities offered by the Hermitage Hotel
• Incentive and staff recognition programmes
• Frequent staff events and opportunities to connect with your team and community
• Opportunities to grow, develop and upskill through management courses and personal development programmes
Does this sound like the place for you?
Our teams live and work together so it's important that you have a positive attitude and enthusiasm for the hospitality industry. While previous experience in a cleaning or housekeeping environment is an advantage, we provide all training to ensure that you are up to speed with our products, our services, our standards, and our expectations. With an eye for detail, you should be flexible with a can-do approach and looking to learn throughout your time with us.
• Applicants should be legally entitled to work in New Zealand.
• Please contact us on [email protected] if you require more information before applying.
• Due to the remote nature of our location, own transport is encouraged.
This job vacancy was been posted over 40 days ago, but is still active and currently accepting new applications.
Login or Register to Apply Online
Not already a member? Register for free and create your online resume to apply. If you are already registered or have applied for a vacancy before, you can login below.
Member since: April 2022
In the heart of the majestic Mackenzie Country, in the valley beneath Aoraki Mount Cook, The Hermitage Hotel offers a complete year-round alpine holiday experience.
A range of accommodation with several restaurants and bars suits all travellers Don't miss the new Sir Edmund Hillary Alpine Centre with New Zealand's first full dome digital Planetarium, 3D Theatre, Museum and Hillary Gallery.
Your visit to Aoraki Mount Cook is not complete without experiencing Glacier Explorers an amazing up close encounter with New Zealand's largest glacier, the Tasman Glacier.