Horticulture Production & Development Manager
Organic Farm New Zealand
Competitive salary based on experience
About the Position
Organic Farm New Zealand is located on a remote private estate in the beautiful Fiordland region, a 30-minute drive from the nearest town of Te Anau.
Bio-Gro certified since 2006, OFNZ produces high-end, organic freeze-dried health foods and drinks primarily for export. OFNZ products are sold direct to consumer, as an essential part of an overall healthy lifestyle.
We are looking to hire a full-time Horticulture Production and Development Manager to help manage the expansion of our current cropping area as well as our existing onsite organic gardens.
We currently have five tunnel houses (10x30 metres each) and six outdoor beds, and we are planning to expand and develop an additional 10 hectares of outdoor cropping areas, both annuals and perennials.
We are looking for someone to manage all the development stages of this expansion project, and the crop production in the existing areas. The environment conditions in Fiordland are quite challenging, so finding the right person is essential to the success of this expansion project.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
• Organic production – a good understanding of organic production including managing certification (BioGro)
• Soil management – practical and theoretical expertise in good soil management, including nutrient management, cultivation, and overall promotion of soil health.
• Plant propagation – Familiarity with different propagation methods, particularly seed raising.
• Plant husbandry – expertise in all aspects of the production of a diverse range of crops, particularly vegetables and cash crops, both under protection and outdoors, plus an understanding of the requirements of perennial/tree crops, including pruning.
• Pest and disease management – a good understanding of how to control pest and diseases of annual and perennial crops within the constraints of organic certification/production.
• Weed management – a strong understanding of how to achieve effective weed management in organic systems, both annual and perennial crops including growing under protection.
• Irrigation – familiarity with irrigation for intensive horticulture, such as drip tapes, impact sprinklers, and control systems.
• Machinery – be able to operate and maintain a range of machinery such as pedestrian cultivators, tractors and tractor mounted equipment.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Develop horticultural expansion plans – in conjunction with management develop and implement the expansion of the cropping area.
• Crop production – Have overall responsibility for all the aspects of crop production, including site selection, appropriate soil preparation, propagation, planting, crop husbandry (incl.pest, disease and weed management, irrigation, frost protection and management of polytunnels).
• Equipment management – Ensure all equipment, such as hand tools, pedestrian cultivators, mowers, tractors, tractor mounted equipment, irrigations system and polytunnels are correctly maintained and operated. Ensure all vehicles are roadworthy before starting work.
• Optimize production - Analyze and identify the strengths and weaknesses of solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems; formulate and plan alternatives.
• Supervise crop production - Supervise and analyze overall crop production in order to ensure successful crop yields. Regularly keep production records.
• Compliance with regulations – ensure the production system is compliant with all relevant regulations and laws such as health and safety, environmental, etc.
• Work according to organic practices utilizing both traditional and innovative methods
• Small to medium sized operation allows for in-depth experience in all aspect of gardening, with the possibility for taking on greater responsibilities such as project management
• Extraordinary working environment, on 1050 hectare organic property, surrounded by 2.6 million hectares of untouched, virgin forests.
• If relocating to Te Anau, we can provide support for all aspect of moving logistics. Te Anau is an up and coming community, with excellent land and home values and an ideal environment for young couples, families and recent graduates.
• Competitive salary, negotiated according to experience and qualifications.
• Daily transportation from / to Te Anau provided.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your up-to-date CV together with a covering letter to by 15 June 2021
This job vacancy was been posted over 40 days ago, but is still active and currently accepting new applications.
Login or Register to Apply Online
Not already a member? Register for free and create your online resume to apply. If you are already registered or have applied for a vacancy before, you can login below.
ORGANIC FARM NEW ZEALAND
Member since: November 2019
Organic Farm New Zealand (OFNZ) is located on a private estate located in the world-famous Fiordland region, a 30-minute drive from the nearest town of Te Anau.
Farming, Animals & Conservation